01 January 2009

Medieval wonders of the world

[Heemskerck's depiction of the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, 16th c.]

A few days ago I was watching a documentary on the seven wonders of the world. It remarked, quite correctly, upon the fact that the list of the seven wonders of the world was not fully fixed until the medieval period, and that the most famous images of the wonders were produced by Maarten van Heemskerck in the sixteenth century.

What would medievalists consider to be the seven wonders of the medieval world?[1] I'm not the best person to ask, I fear, as my list would most likely consist exclusively of cathedrals - heh.

1 Yes, I know Wikipedia has an article on the seven wonders of the medieval world, but in this instance I'm ignoring Wikipedia. Amusingly enough, the Golden Gate Bridge is right up against the heading for the section on the medieval wonders.

1 comments:

Berkeley Papers

It's simple, stop talking to clients about it, and start showing them.



Term papers